This education is currently offered for 0.0 CME credit as it's designed to be an introductory component to a hands-on obstetrical emergency simulation course. This educational presentation will provide the most recent evidence-based research on managing the obstetric emergency of postpartum hemorrhage, including appropriate management options for this emergency. Following this education, learners will be required to complete the hands-on simulation course offered through Ascension Saint Thomas.
• Identify the causes of hemorrhage and recognize the stages of postpartum hemorrhage
• Identify appropriate strategies for the prevention and treatment of hemorrhage
• Formulate a management plan to avoid hemodynamic decompensation and successfully respond to PPH as individuals, as L&D units, and as hospital teams.
• Main EK, Goffman D, Scavone BM, Low LK, Bingham D, Fontaine PL, Gorlin JB, Lagrew DC, Levy BS. National Partnership for Maternal Safety: consensus bundle on obstetric hemorrhage. Anesth Analg. 2015 Jul;121(1):142-148. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000869. Erratum in: Anesth Analg. 2019 Dec;129(6):e206. PMID: 26091046.
• Main, Elliott K. MD; McCain, Christy L. MPH; Morton, Christine H. PhD; Holtby, Susan MPH; Lawton, Elizabeth S. MHS Pregnancy-Related Mortality in California, Obstetrics & Gynecology: April 2015 - Volume 125 - Issue 4 - p 938-947 doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000746
• Zuckerwise LC, Pettker CM, Illuzzi J, Raab CR, Lipkind HS. Use of a novel visual aid to improve estimation of obstetric blood loss. Obstet Gynecol. 2014 May;123(5):982-986. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000233. PMID: 24785850.
This education is designed to meet the needs of Obstetricians/Gynecologists, Certified Nurse Midwives, Primary Care Providers, APP’s, and other members of the healthcare team that may provide care to obstetric patients.